RAJKOT: As many as 25 infants in the paediatric ICU of Sir T Hospital in Bhavnagar had a narrow escape after fire broke out there due to short circuit in one of the air conditioners in the wee hours of Tuesday.
The short circuit was reported around 2.45am after one of the staff members on duty noticed smoke and sparks emanating from one of the air conditioners.
According to the fire department officials, the hospital staff had moved the infants to other parts of the hospital even before their arrival. The fire department officials immediately cut the main power supply to the ICU and doused the fire in the electric wires. The entire operation was over in 10-15 minutes, sources said.
None of the infants or the hospital staff were affected due to the smoke from the burning electric wire.