close
Miscellaneous

McGregor pulled from Nate Diaz fight amid retirement talk

no thumb

“We pulled Conor McGregor from UFC 200 and we’re working on other fights right now”, White said via ESPN.

McGregor, however, is now in Iceland training for the Diaz rematch and apparently told UFC officials he wasn’t willing to make the trip to meet the press. Now, if McGregor had already decided of leaving the sport, would there be any particular reason for him to train ahead of his bout against Diaz on July 9, 2016? But every other fighter on the card was coming.

“We’ve had instances like this before – I did it to Nick Diaz when he didn’t attend a press conference before he fought George St Pierre“. We spend a lot of money on this stuff and you have to do it, it’s mandatory. In a separate interview with Fox Sports, White also explicitly stated that despite McGregor’s huge popularity and influence, “nobody is exempt from promoting their fights”.

He posted the tweet a week after MMA fighter Joao Carvalho died from injuries he suffered in a fight – a match McGregor saw ringside earlier this month.

UFC president Dana White made the announcement via “SportsCenter” on Tuesday. Is this a no-turning-back move by the UFC or is it a reaction to McGregor refusing to come to Las Vegas this weekend?

Diaz followed McGregor’s tweet with his own.

They claim McGregor has refused to fly to Las Vegas to fulfill his media obligations and as a result had been withdrawn from UFC 200. “Only he can answer that question, I don’t know but he’s not fighting at UFC 200“.

The 27-year-old fighter, a notorious trash talker, had not confirmed that he is retiring. If McGregor does return to the UFC fold, one could certainly conclude that the recent rumors about a rift between him and the company were spot on.

donaldhamm

The author donaldhamm

Leave a Response