Nagpur: As the Supreme Court is yet to pronounce its verdict over the petition challenging Maharashtra government’s domicile rule, the Directorate of Medical Education and Research (DMER) has put the admission process for PG in medicine on hold.
DMER chief Dr Pravin Shingare admitted that the process was to begin from March 9 but had to be stopped as the state is awaiting SC orders.
“Until 2016, a candidate needed to have done MBBS from Maharashtra to be eligible for PG admissions. But last year, state government added another condition that the candidates should be domicile of Maharashtra. Following this, the students had filed a case in the Bombay high court. The DMER, after losing the case in the high court, had moved SC where the HC verdict was stayed. The condition, hence, could not be implemented during the admissions last year,” Dr Shingare said.
“This year again, the students have moved high court. The court gave the same orders following which we have challenged it in the SC. We are waiting for the verdict and hence admission process has been halted,” he said.
Aggrieved students say the conditions laid down by the DMER were wrong as this forced aspirants to compete only in the 15% national quota in all states. Secretary of Maharashtra Association of Resident Doctors (MARD) at Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) Dr Lajpat Agrawal said, “In my opinion this was injustice to students. If such a condition is to be introduced it should be done during admissions to the MBBS course so that the person knows that he cannot continue his PG in the same state. Competition for out-of-state students increases so much that they can compete only for 15% national quota,” he said.